Packing and Handling
13% Chrome Material Handling and Storage Procedures
In today's oil & gas industry, companies are drilling deeper high–deviation wells into high pressure reservoirs using the latest generation of drilling rigs and tools. As a result, the loads placed on OCTG connections in certain well conditons exceed those of an API class–1 qualified connection. JFEBEAR™ has been designed and tested to withstand today's toughest well conditions.
13% Chrome martensitic stainless steel is designed for use in highly corrosive environments.
It should be handle with care to ensure the pipe has no scratches or dents on the external or internal surfaces before being run in the well. Improper handling can create inclusions on the pipe body and help accelerate corrosion in an already corrosive environment.
The following handling and storage procedures are designed to ensure the pipe reaches the well site in the best possible condition.
- ・Handle pipes one at a time using nylon straps.
- ・Avoid pipes contacting each other abruptly i.e. banging together to prevent local surface hardened spots.
- ・Do not use end hook when lifting pipes.
- ・For lifting more than one joint at a time pipe should only be moved JFE-PACK or
other certified pipe racking systems.
- ・Do not lift pipes in bundles using wire rope slings.
- ・On arrival at storage yard remove tubulars from export packing immediately and
store indoors in a dry atmosphere.
- ・Rack pipes in level horizontal layer at least 8” (200mm) above ground.
- ・Separate layer of pipe with at least 3 wooden slats placed at each end and in the middle of the pipe length.
Slats should be at least 4” x 2” (100mm x 50mm).
- ・Do not rack pipe more than 7ft (2.1m) high.
- ・Inspect tubulars periodically i.e. every 1~3 months depending on atmospheric conditions.
Routine inspection should include.
- ・Check pipe is dry with no water or condensation lying in Pipe ID.
- ・If pipe is store outdoor the following additional procedures are recommended.
- 1) Put desiccant package or phase inhibitor pads inside each joint of pipe.
- 2) Protect from rain or spray with tarpaulins or plastic covering.
- Note:Sweating condensation may occur if there is insufficient air circulation under the covers.
- ・Avoid stagnant water, or moisture, every 30 days roll pipes stored on wooden batons or other strips on ensure
no moisture remains trapped between tube pipe and baton, this also allow any trapped moisture to dry.
- ・Store tubulars with one end (box end) slightly elevated to allow any condensation or trapped water to
drain from inside of tube.
■Storage in JFE-PACK Transport Racks
- ・On arrival at storage yard, remove pipes from racks.
- ・Check rack for any damage.
- ・Check pipes for any damage.
- ・Replace pipes in racking securely.
- ・If pipe is to be stored outside, slightly raise one end of the rack system as per section4 for this procedure.
- ・Do not rack pipes more than 4 racks high.
▲Return to Top